SOCIAL SECURITY (SSI/SSA)
North County Office: 2160 South El Camino Real
Oceanside, CA 92054
Website: Social Security Administration
- Under 18 Family Income IS considered.
- Over 18 Family Income NOT considered.
- Over 18 Application can be done over phone
Note: If you get turned down for social security you have the Right to Appeal. If you have been turned down on a five-year review, make sure you complete the forms to keep your Social Security going while you appeal. It is important to have adequate documentation chronicling your disability when meeting with Social Security officers.
SAN DIEGO REGIONAL CENTER
Main Office: 4355 Ruffin Road
San Diego, CA 92123
North County Office 5931 Priestly Drive Suite 100
Carlsbad, CA 92008
Website: San Diego Regional Center
To be eligible for San Diego Regional Center services you must:
- Be a resident of San Diego or Imperial County
- Have a developmental delay in one or more of the following areas: Cognitive; Communication; Social/Emotional; Physical; Adaptive
- Younger than 24 months: 33% in one developmental area, 24 months & older 50% delay in one developmental area; OR 33% delay in 2 or more developmental areas; OR Conditions known to cause delays in development (e.g. Down syndrome, Spina Bifida).
- Needs a Referral from Doctor.
- Not Dependent on Family Income.
- Pays for Services Insurance and/or School does not.
- Helps with Transition to Adulthood.
The San Diego Regional Center has a client rights advocate: San Diego Regional Center – Clients Rights Advocate.
If you have been turned down for Regional Center services, you have have the Right to Appeal.
Phone Support 800-541-5555
- Family Income IS considered when child is under 18, however, Regional Center, gives fills out a “WAIVER” because of a child’s disability, to make Medicaid available possible.
- Under 18 a child’s care is (or has been) “CALIFORNIA CHILDREN’S SERVICES” CCS. This is equivalent to “Medicare”.
- When a child turns 18 a child goes on straight Medi-Caid.
HEALTH INSURANCE PREMIUM PROGRAM (HIPP)
- A child needs to be on Medi-Caid, and also have private insurance.
- Not dependent on family income.
- Needs a referral from a doctor.
- Begins at any age.
- State of California will reimburse parents for the medical insurance premiums paid for child!! (Does not matter if paid through work or paid personally.)
The HIPP application forms are all online. To get to the website, TYPE: HIPP application online forms IN BROWSER, AND
“HIPP Online Forms – California Department of Health Care Services”
Click on this and you will have step by step instructions on the forms. It is about 5 forms. They are very easy and believe me once done and turned in, you find out within a few days whether you will qualify.
HOME-SUPPORTIVE SERVICES (IHSS)
- Family Income IS considered if child under 18 years old.
- Child over 18 family income NOT considered.
- Application is taken over phone or online.
- A doctor’s report is also needed.
“CARE” SAN DIEGO GAS & ELECTRIC & CALIFORNIA LIFELINE
Assists families who have a person on Medi-Caid living with them with medical needs.
- Family income is not considered.
- Doctor referral is needed.
- SAVINGS IS CONSIDERABLE!
California Lifeline helps eligible families lower their phone costs.
Exceptional Family Resource Center – San Diego, Imperial County